Home » TENNIS » Andy Murray Withdraws From 2018 Wimbledon

Andy Murray Withdraws From 2018 Wimbledon

Written By: SD Reporter


British tennis ace, Andy Murray has withdrawn from this year’s edition of Wimbledon on the eve of the tournament.

The 31-year-old two-time winner said it was “too soon” to play five-set matches after his comeback from hip surgery.

Murray returned at Queen’s last month after almost a year out, losing to Nick Kyrgios, then played at Eastbourne, where he was beaten by Kyle Edmund.

In a statement, the Scot said he was “looking forward” to the US hard-court season, which starts in August.

This will be the first time since 2007, when he withdrew with a wrist injury, that Murray, who is now world number 156, has not played at the All England Club, and Jason Jung from Chinese Taipei will replace him in the draw.

Murray, who won Wimbledon in 2013 and 2016, had been drawn against Frenchman Benoit Paire in the first round of the Championships, which start on Monday.

The former world number one said he had made “significant progress” over the past 10 days and did “everything he could” to be ready.

The three-time Grand Slam champion said: “It is with a heavy heart that I’m announcing that I’ll be withdrawing from Wimbledon this year.

“We’ve decided that playing best-of-five-set matches might be a bit too soon in the recovery process.

“I will start practising on the hard courts from tomorrow and continuing with my rehab and recovery and I’m looking forward to the US hard-court season.”

Sharing is caring!

Check Also

Nigerian Table Tennis Junior League Starts July 27th

The lock up hall of Lagos National Stadium, Surulere will come alive from July 27 ...