Merseyside Police have decided not to prosecute Liverpool star Mohamed Salah over footage that looked to show him using a mobile phone while driving a car.
Instead of facing charges, the police have said that they will instead give Salah advice over “mobile phone use in a vehicle.”
A Merseyside Police representative said: “We can confirm a 26 year-old man was spoken to following an incident on Arkles Lane in Liverpool on Sunday 12th August 2018.
“Enquiries have taken place and there is insufficient evidence to support a prosecution and as such no further action will be taken.
“The man has been spoken to by officers and given advice and guidance around mobile phone use in a vehicle.”
The footage was believed to have been recorded on August 12 earlier in the season, after Liverpool’s victory over West Ham at Anfield.
Despite planning to give him advice, the Liverpool Echo report that there is “insufficient evidence” to prosecute the player.
At the time of the incident, Merseyside Police acknowledged that they knew of the video.
Mohamed Salah Referred to Merseyside Police for Using Mobile Phone While Driving.#liverpoolfc #liverpool #mosalah #salah #ynwa #driving #mobile #putitdown #safetyfirst #safety #onecall #onecallaccidentmanagment pic.twitter.com/LNKH792giT
— One Call (@onecallam_tweet) August 14, 2018
They said on Twitter: “We have been made aware of a video believed to show a footballer using a mobile phone whilst driving. This has been passed to the relevant department. Thanks for letting us know.”
After the statement from the police, Liverpool referred Salah to the police, saying: “The club, after discussion with the player, have made Merseyside Police aware of the footage and the circumstances surrounding it’s [sic] capture.
“We have spoken to the player also and will deal with any follow-up internally.”