The Nigeria Basketball Federation Board held its first Stakeholders’ Meeting on the 16th and 18th of May in Lagos and Abuja respectively. The meetings took place at the Indoor Sports Hall, National Stadium, Lagos and National Institute of Sports, Package B, National Stadium Abuja.
A minute’s silence was observed at both locations in respect of the passing away of Baba Shehu (former North East Zonal Represenattive and Borno State Basketball Chairman), the former President of FIBA, Ivan and Waheed Jimoh, a Basketball player that died on 16th May 2018.
The following decisions were taken:
- The NBBF President restated pledges which he made during the board’s inauguration in Abuja.
- a) Basketball players are his “main clients” and remained his main concern.
- b) Emphasis will be on massive grassroots development all over the country.
- c) To bring all stakeholders under one umbrella (one family) and reposition the sport in the country and the African Continent.
- d) To provide quality leadership and an enabling environment for all to strive for greatness in the sport.
- e) To Intensify efforts to advertise the good side of Basketball and encourage people who will serve by merit.
- Based on the letters from FIBA and other related documents on the subject matter which were presented at both meetings, Stakeholders agreed that FIBA gave the mandate for overseeing the administration of the Nigeria Basketball Federation to Engr Musa Ahmadu Kida as President, Ogunade Babatunde as Vice President and Chimezie Asiegbu as Secretary General.
- The NBBF President, listed some achievements of the new Board within the past 10 months in his Address to the Stakeholders, which include:
- a) Winning the Afrobasket for Women in 2017 to be African Champions, which qualified the National Women Team to Represent Africa at the World Cup in Spain in September, 2018
- b) Reaching the Finals of Afro Basket Men in Tunisia in 2017.
- c) Winning FIBA 3×3 Africa Cup 2017 which qualified Nigeria to participate in FIBA 3×3 World Cup in Philipines,in June,
- d) Organizing the FIBA Table officials and Staisticians Certification Courses in Lagos in 2017.
- e) Hosting of FIBA Africa Zone 3 Champions Cup Qualifying Tournaments in 2017.
- f) Topping group B in the 2019 FIBA World Cup African Qualifying Tournament held in Mali in February, 2018.
- The board confirmed its plans to set up a constitution drafting committee in line with the Federal Ministry of Youth & sports and FIBA directives to power the production of a constitution. With FIBA making it clear that presently the Federation has no recognized constitution, the three persons saddled with the responsibility of running the affairs of the board are expected to come up with a draft constitution report for validation by FIBA. This will be the first step to any credible election.
- It was agreed that the continous claims that there are factions in Nigerian Basketball is a misnomer and should be laid to rest based on facts on ground. Rather, the President called on Stakeholders in Nigeria to join hands as one family while reaffirming the position of FIBA and recognition by the Nigeria Olympic Committee and the Government of Nigeria through the Federal Ministry of Youths and Sports to oversee the affairs of Basketball in Nigeria. This reaffirms the present board’s mandate from the electorate.
- Stakeholders were briefed on the status of a “Premier Basketball League” being organized by the former Board of the NBBF which is dubbed as a National League. As far as the NBBF is concerned, no body, other than the NBBF recognized by FIBA, has the right to organize any National League. The body which flagarantly calls itself “NBBF” against all legal norms based on FIBA position and that of all the relevant bodies in Nigeria, does not have the legal right to do so. Therefore, the NBBF considers their competion as an Invitational Tournament whose winners do not qualify to represent Nigeria in any FIBA competition.
- It was also agreed that the new Board must constantly organize clinics and refresher courses for Referees, Technical Commissioners and Statisticians for accelerated human development. As a follow-up, the Board informed the Stakeholders that various courses, to be orgnaized by FIBA instructors, will be orgnanized for all Technical strata of officials in June, 2018, just before Nigeria’s hosting of the 3rd Window of the 2019 FIBA World Cup Group B Qualifiers in Lagos, from 25th June to 2nd July, 2018.
Interested candidates were urged to avail themselves of the opportunities to improve their respective Technical knowledge.
- The board explained that it was necessary to expand the playing format of the Division 1 and 2 as against the one week competition that has always been the case. It was agreed that players need to play more games for an all round development.
- The NBBF Board called on the state associations to take charge of their associations and develop Basketball from the grassroots with the Divisions 2 league proposed to be managed by the various states Chairmen and Secretaries for better results. The board proposed that the newly introduced Division 1 and 2 leagues should become an annual state competition which will make it easy for states to know their teams and get them engaged.
- Stakeholders present at the meeting commended Kida and his board for sealing the sponsorship deal with Total E&P for Divisions 1 and 2 and tasked the board to get more sponsors for other competitions of the NBBF. The Board assured of its commitment to woo other corporate sponsors who will be made known to the public soon.
- The NBBF Board also revealed plans to harmonize all basketball academies in the country for better productivity as part of its grassroots development drive.
- Stakeholders requested that a proper structure be put in place to accommodate all aspiring administrators before the current Board leaves office.
- Mr. Abba Kaka, the current Chairman of Borno State Basketball Association who replaced Mr. Baba Shehu the erstwhile Chairman and also the North East rep on the NBBF Board who died last year, was introduced to Stakeholders and welcomed to the NBBF family. Mr. Abba Kaka is also holding forth as rep of the North East on the NBBF Board.
- Participants urged the federation to improve on its information dissemination and communication to states and major stakeholders going forward. The NBBF President agreed with this position and promised that efforts is being made to improve this aspect.
- Representatives of the Federal Ministry of Youths and Sports lauded the efforts of Musa Kida and the entire NBBF board in developing and promoting Basketball in the country and called on all stakeholders to give them the necessary support because they remain the only NBBF Board to carry Nigeria’s mandate.
- The NBBF Board appreciated the support of the President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria (President Mohammadu Buhari), the Minister Federal Ministry of Youth and Sports (Barrister Solomon Dalung), the Nigeria Olympic Committee and the Basketball Stakeholders