Home » SPORTS NEWS » Wrestlers Put Training Boycott On Hold

Wrestlers Put Training Boycott On Hold

Written By: SD Reporter


Wrestlers in Nigeria’s national camp have called off their boycott of training and back in their daily drills, ahead of the 2018 Commonwealth Games billed for Australia from 4 to 15 April.

The wrestlers had boycotted their training camp last week in protest of the nonpayment of their accumulated allowances for various African and International Wrestling Championships.

One of the wrestlers said the team decided to resume training only temporarily, in order not to jeopardize their chances of winning medals as usual at the Gold Coast 2018.

The wrestler stated: “The ministry is yet to pay us our allowances but we have given them time and resumed training.

“In as much as we are fighting for what is due to us, we are still mindful of the Commonwealth Games because we don’t want it to affect our performances in Australia,”

Meanwhile, the president of Nigeria Wrestling Federation, Honourable Daniel Igali and others met with the Minister of Youths and Sports, Barrister Solomon Dalung and the Permanent Secretary of the ministry, Olusade Adesola in Abuja on Tuesday.

Igali said that the meeting was to strategize ahead of the the Commonwealth Games, even as he confirmed the wrestlers return to training.

He added: “I am just going back to Bayelsa from Abuja where we discussed with the minister, permanent secretary and some of the officials on some issues.

“The minister met with all the federation presidents that are going for the Commonwealth Games to discuss plans, training tour schedules, issues that are affecting the teams and so on.”
Meanwhile, top officials of the Athletics Federation of Nigeria (AFN) are said to be pleading with athletes at the national camp in Port Harcourt  to resume training and intensify preparations ahead of the 2018 Commonwealth Games  in Australia.
The officials have reached out to athletes not to boycott training over their unpaid eight-week camp allowances, as the sports ministry is allegedly also owing their counterparts in other sports, who are equally preparing for the Gold Coast 2018 Games.

The AFN top brass have reacted in response to reports that there were plans by athletes to protest against  the failure of the ministry to pay their allowances, as they believe they would not be paid after the Games, as promised by the ministry.

It was also learnt that the athletes have been complaining to the AFN officials about their allowances with the officials promising to find a solution to the problem.

 

Sharing is caring!

Check Also

Ola Aina Eager To Achieve More With Torino

Chelsea of England defender, Ola Aina is standing tall and looking forward to better prospects ...