Home / BOXING / Anthony Joshua Awarded OBE By Prince Charles For Services To Sport

Anthony Joshua Awarded OBE By Prince Charles For Services To Sport

Rachael Grealish

Anthony Joshua has been awarded an OBE for his services to spot by Prince Charles at a ceremony in Buckingham Palace, 0on Thursday.

The 29-year-old heavyweight boxer holds the WBA, IBF and WBO titles all after his unification clash with Joseph Parker back in March.

He was previously awarded a MBE back in 2013 for his success at the London 2012 Olympics after winning gold in the heavyweight boxing.

It was HRH The Prince of Wales that awarded him with the MBE back in 2013, the Daily Mail reported the Prince joked: “Shouldn’t you be playing basketball?” when looking at Joshua’s 6 foot 6 tall frame.

Joshua retained his heavyweight title back in September when he took on Alexander Povetkin. He’s currently taking a short break from boxing before he heads back to the ring with a new opponent at Wembley.

Back in September it was reported Joshua was still keen to take on Tyson Fury after the pair went to blows after the former’s fight with Povetkin.

While most people were congratulating the champ, Fury took to social media to rant about Joshua, Fury said: “Think it’s now safe to say AJ and his team are a pack of shithouses and will rob the British boxing fans of Britain’s biggest fight.

“They will never fight me ever! Way too slow and ponderous. Can’t box eggs! Contact me when you grow a pair.

“I’m 27/0/9 KO and the lineal heavyweight champion of the world! Can’t say I blame team Joshua.

“It’s safe to say now that they will never fight the Gypsy King. Never. They mentioned if it’s not Wilder, it’s Whyte. There’s no mention of Tyson Fury, the lineal heavyweight champion of the world.

“It’s alright fighting men 39 years old, half your size. Tonight, is pure evidence I’m fighting the best heavyweight out there in Deontay Wilder.

“Joshua is not even close. He’s slow, methodical, ponderous at times. Powerful? Yes. But they all are. Very, very clear to see, avoid me at all costs. If I was Joshua, I would avoid me, I’d jab your head off. You’re a bum. Can’t box, jab your nut in. Easy night’s work.”

However, a calm Joshua responded during a post-fight press conference to say: “I’ll fight Fury if he’s ready, but, as I’ve said, he’s not.

“So good luck to him in his fight with Wilder. If he changes his mind in the future, he knows where we are.”

After Joshua blocked Fury it’s still up in the air whether the pair will meet in the ring.

About SD Reporter

Check Also

WBU Names Nigerian, Promoter Of The Year

Professional boxing ended year 2018 on a high in Nigeria when Monarch Promotions boss, Prince …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *