Nigerian-born heavyweight boxer, Anthony Olaseni Oluwafemi Joshua may be in for another hectic battle in his rematch with Mexico’s Andy Ruiz, as the man who shocked him with a seventh round knock-out on June 1 says the next fight will be even tougher.
Although a date is yet to be fixed for the rematch, Ruiz has declared that he will be even more prepared for Joshua than he was when he claimed the stunning victory over the Briton in New York City, USA.
Joshua was on the receiving end of one of the biggest shocks in the history of heavyweight boxing on his United States debut, during which he was knocked down twice in the third round and twice in the seventh, thereby forcing the referee, Mike Griffin to stop the contest.
Joshua’s promoter Eddie Hearn announced days after the fight that the contracted rematch clause had been triggered and the second fight will take place in November or December, ahead of which Ruiz says he will more than ready, and believes he will get another historic victory.
Ruiz stated his determination to sink ‘AJ’ again, as he returned to The City of Imperial for the parade held in his honour and told reporters he was sure he could get the better of Joshua once again.
The 29-year-old Ruiz took to the streets of California, where he was born, in an open-top car to celebrate winning the IBF, WBA and WBO titles with a seventh-round stoppage victory at Madison Square Garden.
Ruiz stated: “The rematch is going to be the same. I am going to be more prepared and more ready.
“I know his flaws. I can do a lot better. The only thing that he can do is just run around, he’s not good at boxing.
“People thought I wasn’t going to do anything, I was too big, too overweight. I don’t want to say all the things I am going to change.
“There is going to be a lot of changing, I am going to come at a better weight this time. It’s going to be a hell of a fight.”