Sir Mo Farah has been forced to pull out of this weekend’s TCS London Marathon in the latest blow to the race’s organisers.
The four-time Olympic champion has disclosed he injured his hip earlier this month and has failed to respond sufficiently to intensive treatment.
Sources close to Farah had indicated he could retire from elite running after this weekend if his performance fell short, though he has now suggested he could return when the race resumes its regular slot next April.
Farah said: ‘I’ve been training really hard over the past few months and I’d got myself back into good shape and was feeling pretty optimistic about being able to put in a good performance.
‘However, over the past 10 days I’ve been feeling pain and tightness in my right hip. I’ve had extensive physio and treatment and done everything I can to be on the start line but it hasn’t improved enough to compete on Sunday.
‘It’s really disappointing to have to withdraw after a good last few months and after my win at the Big Half (earlier in September) but also because I love racing in front of my home crowd in London who always give all of us athletes such amazing support.
‘I wish everyone taking part on Sunday a good run and I hope to be back out there with you in April 2023.’
Race director Hugh Brasher said: ‘We are so sorry that Sir Mo is not fit to run on Sunday. We wish him a very speedy recovery and hope to see him running the 2023 TCS London Marathon in April next year.’
Farah’s withdrawal extends the rotten run of luck for Marathon chiefs, with a wave of injuries having stripped away much of the star quality from the elite fields.
They announced on Monday that the women’s world record holder, Brigid Kosgei, had succumbed to a hamstring problem, which in turn followed the loss of Eilish McColgan because of blood sugar issues.
There were also two significant departures from the men’s elite field in Vincent Kipchumba and Mosinet Geremew, who respectively were second and third last year