France and Chelsea midfielder NGolo Kante has been ruled out of the World Cup after undergoing an operation on his hamstring which will see him sidelined for four months.
The 31-year-old suffered the injury in Chelseas 2-2 draw with Tottenham back on August 14 and had surgery after suffering a setback in his rehabilitation.
A Chelsea statement said: NGolo Kante has undergone an operation on his hamstring injury.
The midfielder visited a specialist with the clubs medical department to explore the options for his rehabilitation approach and it was mutually agreed for NGolo to have surgery to repair the damage.
Following a successful operation, NGolo is now expected to be sidelined for four months.
The decision to have surgery came after Chelsea boss Graham Potter, who has been unable to call upon Kante since taking charge at Stamford Bridge, admitted last week there were long-term concerns over the midfielders fitness record he has missed 57 games since the 2019 Europa League final.
Historically, there are things which have happened which are a concern, and we need to get the bottom of that, Potter said.