Arsenal have had a £60m bid for Brighton midfielder Moises Caicedo rejected.
The south coast club insist Caicedo is not for sale in this January transfer window, but Arsenal remain interested and are deciding whether to go back in with an improved offer.
The Gunners’ bid for Caicedo was guaranteed a £60m fee. The biggest transfer fee Brighton have received in their history is the initial £57m plus add-ons from Chelsea for Marc Cucurella.
Chelsea are also interested in the midfielder who Brighton bought for £4.5m from Independiente del Valle two years ago.
Last week, Brighton coach Roberto De Zerbi said on Caicedo’s future: “the best solution is that he finishes the season with us and in the summer he changes teams”.
Caicedo has two and a half years left on his contract and is unlikely to sign a new one. As a result, Brighton will be doing due diligence on a potential succession plan.
Earlier this week, Caicedo addressed questions about his future by saying he’s “focused only” on the south coast club.
Speaking after Brighton’s 2-2 draw at Leicester on Saturday, Caicedo told The Argus: “I am focused now on Brighton. I am here, I’m playing every day.
“What happens outside doesn’t trouble me, nor does it take the focus away because I’m focused only on here.”