Daniel Levy and Tottenham are set to begin new contract talks with Antonio Conte this week, it has been reported.
Conte’s current deal runs until the summer, with Tottenham keen to tie down the Italian who guided them into the top four last season and has them fourth in the Premier League once again this.
According to The Athletic, talks over a new deal began before the World Cup and had been set to resume last week but Fabio Paratici was busy. They are scheduled to begin again on Monday.
It had been reported in October that talks had begun between Levy and Conte’s team, though talks now are set to encompass a much wider range of topic.
That will include, on the wishes of the head coach himself, discussions over the club’s ambitions and plans for the January window, it has been reported.
Conte has made it abundantly clear during his short spell at the club that he needs them to match his ambition for him to feel comfortable and necessary at the club.
A run of defeats in the lead up to the break for the World Cup saw Conte made a series of public complaints about his need for players.
‘I think the club understands very well the importance of bringing players, important players, in January or in the summer,’ he said in the autumn.
‘This season will be much more difficult than last season because after the transfer market you have seen many teams have improved a lot. You have to face a lot of big, big teams.
‘For sure it will be the time to speak with the club at the right time to understand which is the best solution for us.’
He went on to add that his current squad does not afford him the chance to absorb injuries.
‘We have to face and manage very well this situation and overcome it together. This squad doesn’t allow [me] to lose four players,’ he said after the loss to Newcastle.
‘We need to go step by step and have time and patience and have two or three transfer markets to bring this squad to be competitive to play in two competitions like Premier League and Champions League.